Thursday, August 2, 2007

Light Unto My Path

Like many of you I spent much of today watching the footage of the 35W bridge collapse. It is shocking, scary and numbing to watch how so many lives can be instantly changed by something that we all put our faith in daily. I have taken many field trips with my class where I constantly check to make sure no one is left behind. I never think twice about the bus ride itself. Would I know how to respond if something happened? I can only hope and pray that God would guide my instincts and that He would take over.

The image that struck me the most came during the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. As they were going to a commercial they were showing a series of still photographs that had been captured by various witnesses. As I was standing in the living room, rocking Alexander on my shoulder, an image appeared of a woman holding an infant, about the same age as Alexander. She held her child in just about the same position as I did, one arm tucked under the bottom, the other hand on the back of the head. A common position meant to comfort and reassure the child. There I was in the safety of my own home and all I could see was the look of fear on this woman's face. Fear of what had just happened, fear for what was yet to come, fear for the safety of her child.

As a teacher and now a parent I have been given a great gift, to care for and protect the children entrusted to me. May I be ever mindful that children truly are a gift from God and that I cannot expect to guide them through their lives without first seeking His guidance in mine.

2 comments:

Amy and Andrew said...

Thanks for your honest reflections, Sarah. And Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a moving entry. Finally I remember to check the happenings on your blog and I am met with this. Great insights on such a terrible tragedy.